Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Final Hours

My mother-in-law told me a story from a friend of hers who adopted from Korea, a 3 1/2 y.o. boy. After being united with his family, he had tantrums for more than a week. His family could not figure out what was wrong and tried everything to relieve him. Finally, they found someone who spoke Korean to talk to him. The interpreter found out that he was told that he was going to the United States and demanding to know when he was going to go there! The poor child had NO IDEA that he was already there!!! Once they explained that to him, he was fine. We assume so much. Luckily we have identified a lovely woman to help us talk to Ling when we get home. She will come to our house on Monday, 5/26 to talk to her in Chinese!

Last night we got all of our clothes packed up into Space Bags. Here are some photos. These are all of our clothes:



This is the Medicine pile! Apparently, American meds are hard to find in China, so we have a big supply of cold, allergy, & fever meds, antibiotics, asthma stuff, etc.....


Matthew's food!


Here is a "cube" of hand knitted afghans that my friend, Lisa's mother made for the children at the orphanage. There are about 20 of them in here!


This are the pictures from Ling's word book. I made it to put on rings so she can communicate easily with us. We will use simple sign language with her, too.


We are off to Mary Alice's Middle School Orientation Night. Matthew's playing with the Orchestra to greet the incoming 5th graders.

I still have lots to do. I thought by now I would be all ready, but there are many little things left.

Mary Alice is busy making a travel pillow for her Bear on my sewing machine. I better go help her. We have to leave in 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

all your medicine bags look like ours! LOL can't wait to meet!
ttys, real soon, LOL coco

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Looks great -- glad the space bags worked for you. Remember to take a few extras (just empty) because a few of ours broke! Overload, I suppose!

Mike and Barb said...

Have a safe trip! I hope you will blog from China!
Love, Barb